Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Do you like the view?


This is the view from my room, it isn't really what I had planned for today, but its my reality.
My week started off by having a day off from my 8-5 job and working for sometime at the store, It was nice to see such happy people coming in on a holiday. Mike had scheduled a diskectomy in a nearby town of Coeur d'alene for Tuesday and we were leaving in the afternoon. Jacob had an orthodontist appt as well so we were off. After a sleepless nite in our "corporate room" we were up at 3:30 'cause Mike couldn't sleep. We left for the hospital at 5am. It was foggy and eeeire but I was fine overall.
Mike was whisked away to the pre-op room and I was left in a large waiting room. There were coffee pots but no cups and a very loud TV playing Fox news. Not a really fun time at 5am. Finally at 7am they let me go hold his hand and say goodbye. He wasn't doing well, he was really panicky and his blood pressure was 169 over 120. The nurse was a little on edge. After some deep breathing and some blood pressure meds, they took him away to surgery. It was an hour procedure, but at 9:30 no news. Finally I asked the volunteer blue haired lady to check on my husband, she gave me the song and dance that it hadn't been long enough and I should sit down and wait. I kindly replied that if she didn't call, I was going too. The doctor appeared and told me the surgery went well but he woke up confused. That is typical for mike and anesthetic. An hour later I still have not seen my husband, I called back to recovery and they came and got me. I am normally a patient person but the blue haired lady was driving me nuts!!!!! I just wanted to know he was okay.
Finally we were in recovery but Mike couldn't get him pain in control, he was having back spasms and wanted to stand or sit or stand and sit again. He was miserable. We planned on going home today, its a 100 mile drive and we do it all the time, we have a comfy mini van and it was reasonable to do so. We finally got him out of the grip of KMC and off down the road we went. BUT..... we only made it to Post Falls and Mike was having such amazing back spasms we couldn't go any farther. Thanks to James we got a priceline deal of $50 and we are back to the Red Lion in Post Falls. This time we have a room with a view. I am so glad I have my laptop, as Mike takes a snooze and enjoys his pain meds I get to play,
I miss my dogs, my daugher and my folks. I wanted to go to work tomorrow at 8am and live my normal life, but something I am learing more and more is that I am really not in control of my so called life. Instead I just need to be thankful Mike didn't have complications and we were able to have such a nice room, that is clean and safe and he is sleeping.

7 comments:

Bfun1 said...

WOW Kristi - I had no idea he was having surgery.........sorry! What a day! Prayers to heaven for you all right now and tonight that you all get some good sleep and Mike does well! At least India Woman got you good room - tell me do you smell Indian food cooking in the lobby??? That would raise the question of HOW the Indian Drug Princess got the room! Seriously, have a great evening! I have sorority tonight! Take care and try to relax a bit (just a tad bit)!

Kristi O said...

its so funny that you asked about indian food, when we opened the door to our second room it smelled really funny, I turned and walked out, but i think it was paint I wasn't sure if it was the smell of food or paint, nonetheless we got a new room, and one with a view, i have the door open and we can see the river rolling by. I would so much rather be at my store playing with paper, I am hoping he will go nite nite later and I can slip away to michaels, not that would be fun!!

Bfun1 said...

Enjoy the relaxation of having the water right there by you! Go to Michael's if you get a chance...that would be some "retail therapy" - haha - I love when you say that! I know you would rather be home but for some reason you are meant to be there tonight. When we were on our honeymoon in San Francisco the hotel we stayed in was owned by a family from India and they had food cooking all the time and I thought it smelled fantastic and would have like to try it.

Becky said...

Hope Mike is feeling better soon...glad to hear the surgery went good. Drive safe tomarrow.

BTW...were celebrating your birthday next week if everything works out for you, k?

The Hussy Housewife said...

Back to the real world, huh? Glad hear he is doing well. Trying to shoot for Tuesday night.

Mark said...

I'm glad the surgery was a success. Enjoy the beautiful blue skies! Hopefully you get home safely.
Erin.

TAMI said...

Hope you are home soon- and Mike recoup's well....